Tuesday, December 08, 2009

O Tannenbaum

It must be a tradition of sorts. We always seem to fight on Christmas Tree Day :) It's always about silly stuff.....I believe last year it was over tea.
Anyways, this past Saturday was Christmas Tree Day. And we are creatures of habit. And I'm not going to disclose the contents of this year's argument. Maybe I'll divulge next year. The important thing is it was silly and we kissed and made up :)
We usually do this the day (or weekend) after Thanksgiving. But this year I went shopping on Black Friday and was not feeling well on Saturday. So we waited a week.
It had started to sneet (snow/sleet), but we braved Old Man Winter and headed out to Wiggins anyways.
Here is Mr. Lumberjack himself.


And here is only a portion of the forest from which we had to choose our tree. This is always the most difficult part. You have to understand - I had a disastrous Christmas tree experience the year we lived in Maryland. If you'd like a dramatic reenactment of how that story went down, you may consult my mother.
Anyways, when it comes to picking trees, Mike is very practical (thank goodness), and me, well.....let's just say that if I had no supervision I'd pick a tree the size of The Nutcracker tree every year. No doubt. Never mind the fact that I don't have a 25 ft ceiling.


So we embarked on a mission. To find a happy medium.


This one (apparently) had eaten too many Christmas cookies and was too fat for our living room. Boo hoo.


This one, on the other hand, had lost its midsection somewhere along the way.


After much looking, we headed over to the other side of the tree farm to see what we could see. It was quite a trek.


And of course ours was the furthest away. Here is Mike with the saw.


And here is Michael and his lovely face when he realized how wet the ground was going to be. He got over it ;)


And while I went to Wawa to get cash (for some reason we thought a tree farm in a field would have a credit card machine) Michael dragged our tree back down the hill all by himself (no cart even!) and got it baled. I met him back there in time for him to tie it to the top of the van. Which, we almost lost it on the way home and pulled over on Rt 3 to save it from certain destruction.


And then Mike had the brilliant idea to put it in the tree stand outside before bringing it in and cutting the strings. I can't tell you how much easier that made it!


And here it is. It is still not decorated because I've been feeling sick this week. But soon!


And to make this Christmas Tree Day even better, it snowed :)

Merry Christmas!!
p.s. It's a Christmas tree....not a holiday tree.....I mean c'mon! Please let's not rewrite history....

No comments: