Wednesday, July 01, 2009

This just in: Vertigo is NOT a good date movie

So last night, we watched this:


Mike thought it would be a fun date movie. Love, I enjoyed spending the evening with you, but next time maybe we should pick something, say, more lighthearted? :)
Anyways, I had never seen it before. And for those of you who haven't seen it either, you may as well stop reading now - what follows probably won't make any sense. My apologies. But anyways, this is how my thought process went throughout the movie, from start to finish:

I like Hitchcock, so I'm interested. I like Jimmy Stewart too, so it's a double bonus. --> This looks intriguing - it's dark and suspenseful. I love suspense. --> I like this a lot! Brilliant! Hitchcock is BRILLIANT! --> Wait, did she really just do what I think she did? Really?? But the movie's not even close to being over! (for those who haven't seen it, i won't ruin it) --> Oh no, is Jimmy Stewart mad also? Because I don't think I can handle it if Jimmy Stewart goes insane. --> Are you KIDDING me?! She's ALIVE?! And he did WHAT?! (ok, so maybe I have ruined it a little for those who haven't seen it) --> Is she going to tell him? Will Jimmy figure it out? (He is a detective after all) --> Oh dear. He figured it out. Now what? But maybe this will all turn out ok - I mean, Rear Window ended happy, didn't it? --> Yes! Yes! I think it's all going to be ok!! They're both sane now! Right? RIGHT??!! AREN'T THEY BOTH SANE NOW?! --> **GASP, WIDE EYES AND HORROR FACE** NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! SERIOUSLY????!!! Are those the CREDITS rolling?? That's IT??? That's the ENDING??!!! --> I hate this movie and Hitchock just ruined my evening.


I hope I've captured my emotional thoughts accurately for you.

Hitchcock is brilliant yes, but that movie made me want to curl up in a ball and cry. And I am never watching that movie again. I don't care if it's a classic. I'll stick with A Bug's Life, thank you very much.

5 comments:

Kelley Murphy said...

Don't ever watch "Harvey" either. Stick with Danny Kaye movies.

Michelle said...

you know you love movies that make you feel that way...that's why you always watch them.

i admit that vertigo is creepy but hitchcock is a keeper. just don't watch "the birds."

Sarah Smith said...

no michelle! i DON'T! i like suspense, but not haunting misfortune.

Reenie said...

When I made Mick watch The Birds he was so mad at the ending. I think we watched North by Northwest and were not disappointed try that one.

Ryan said...

Vertigo is not a good anything movie. Sucky for any occasion. And Hitchcock is one of those movie-makers that I think only won awards because the awards committee felt sorry for him. :-)

If you're looking for a hilarious movie, I highly recommend My Fellow Americans. It's one of our favorites.