Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 6 on the Potomac...I skipped 5...

Sorry I missed a day - Thursday was not very interesting, so I did not have much to post about on Friday. We just relaxed most of the day and read books and watched movies. Oh and Mike took me shopping at the outlets - I spent all my money at Gap. Big surprise, I know.
Last night, Mary and Alex came down, so we are now at 19 people. It is a very full (but FUN!) house :)

Yesterday's big event: Tea Time (aka The Finer Things Club). We enjoyed a delightful afternoon of English teas, Walker's Shortbread and Lindt 70% Dark Chocolate. Jealous? I don't blame you - it was truly amazing.
It started out as just Michelle and me, but when Mike found out he was intrigued and wanted to join (mostly because of the chocolate), and soon enough Tom and Sean presented themselves at the dining room table requesting permission to be part of "The Finer Things Club." We acquiesced and it became a truly enjoyable afternoon. The reading list consisted of:

Mike: Dracula (by Bram Stoker)
Sean: Spurgeon Biography (by Arnold Dallimore)
Tom: A. Lincoln-A Biography
Michelle: Reading Lolita in Tehran
Myself: Murder is Easy (Agatha Christie) and Ship of Ghosts (don't remember who it's by - it's about the Pacific front of WWII)


This here is the inspiration behind our Tea Time. Good chocolate and excellent shortbread. There is not much better than good tea and shortbread - divine.




Here is an assortment of the tea supply. I brought 9 different kinds of tea - we've enjoyed almost every single one this week.




My reading material.




Tom telling us what he's learned about Abe Lincoln




Michelle's reading material.




Me and Michelle reading




Sean - we asked him if he was going to look like this when Mary came and he informed us he would (thankfully) be showering before she arrived.




Mike - clearly perturbed about something.





Dan. He was very upset that I took his picture, as you can tell by the turned down mouth and furrowed brow. Although, I suppose he also could have been upset that he had to read for a while instead of play video games...but...that is neither here nor there.





Mike and Dan playing DS





This symbolizes our week - feet propped up while reading a good book. It has been thoroughly relaxing. (Also...these are Mike's feet...mine are not that hairy...lest there be any confusion)



Not sure what is on the agenda for the rest of the day. It is our last full day here, so we are trying to make the most of it! Tonight the couples (Mike, me, Michelle and Alex) are cooking dinner. What's on the menu, you ask?

Pasta alla Vodka!
Fresh Sauteed Veggies (Zucchini, Squash, Asparagus, Sugar Snap Peas, and Carrots)
Fresh Garlic Bread
And for dessert - Fresh blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries with Whipped Cream. (Did I say the word fresh enough in this menu???)


The jury is still out on how much the men will be contributing ;) We know this much - they are willing to go get the Vodka :) I'm just kidding - they are both very useful in the kitchen. It's the scientist in each of them - I just keep telling Mike a recipe is just like an SOP - it's just a list of procedures :)

I will try to post pictures of our meal if I can.
Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Mike Smith said...

don't be deceived by the feet picture, as it turns out sarah really lets herself go during vacation.

kelli cohee said...

sarah, good descriptive word, but i don't know if "fresh" is absolutely necessary for describing food. would it make sense to serve "old garlic bread"? i think not ;)

Sarah Smith said...

ah yes but it DOES distinguish between the real stuff and the frozen stuff ;)