Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 3 on the Potomac

Well, it is our 3rd day here, and we've had an amazing time just RELAXING! I think the best part about this vacation has been that we have had as much time as we want to read, sleep, watch movies, play games, and make hilarious memories together.
Oh, and to run up and down a plethera of steps. That's what I did yesterday. I ran up and down THESE 10 times. (oh and there are more that go further down to the river) My calves hurt very much today. They feel like tight rubberbands :)






At the end of the week, Mike and I are going to have a competition. Who can run the most steps in the shortest amount of time. I have every intention of winning. Let the training begin!




Here is Sean at the bottom of the steps near the river. On the phone with Mary :) Who will be here on Friday!



Don't tell anyone about this secret fishing hole or John may hunt you down and eat you for dinner.












John drinking orange juice through a licorice stick. He never ceases to amaze us.



Meagan getting in some quality reading time.



Erin all wrapped up in the polar bear blanket.



this dude here napped for a whopping 3 hours. We were supposed to be reading....



This here captures the personalities of the Smiths and the Leaches perfectly. We love them.



Pondering.



This empty seat next to her is just yelling Alex's name :)





So far we all have at least 20 bug bites each...on one arm alone...(ok, maybe i'm exaggerating, but still....it's bug city once you step outside...)
Last night we watched the Pink Panther and died laughing at incredibly stupid jokes. But for some reason, when you're all together, "stupid humor" become incredibly hysterical. It was a lot of fun.
And this morning saw Tom standing in front of the microwave, staring at what was spinning around inside, which we all thought was a toaster streudel. Much to our surprise and amusement when it dinged he opened the door, reached inside, pulled out the object (and held it up high), turned to us and exclaimed, "Look! I disinfected the sponge!" I'm pretty sure we all fell over from laughing so hard. Mike made a comment about what a scientist Tom was, but we all quickly informed him that he is quickly becoming as much of a scientist, enamored by such scientist phenomenons :) Or as Cyndi calls it, "Nerd Talk." We love our science guys!

Today Mike told me he is going to take me shopping at some outlets nearby. I can't wait!

Sean has also just informed me that he is going to attempt the stairs today. Maybe he will want to join in our competition at the end of the week.

In closing, here is a quote from Susannah Spurgeon that I read in my devotions this morning. Nothing against Charles Spurgeon, but she sure is giving him a run for his money. I highly recommend her devotional, "Free Grace and Dying Love."

"If my path were always smooth and pleasant, with never a thorn or brier to vex and trouble me, there would be no opportunity for the glorious exercise of your love and mercy in deliverance from them. Courage, my soul! Your God will give you grace to say as did his servent Paul, 'Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.'"
More to come!

5 comments:

kelli cohee said...

i guess disinfecting sponges is an exciting vacation activity??? :)

where'd you find the susannah spurgeon devotional? sounds good!

Traci Healey said...

ha. rick does the sponge thing too. they think it's some super special trick, i think.

Sarah Smith said...

kel - Cyndi got me the devotional - I've seen it in the bookstore though. It has the devotional part and also a biography about her. it's really good :)
Traci - yes, i think they do think it's a special trick of sorts. But really, all women know this trick :)

Ally said...

SARAH - christopher and i do our get-aways at the "river house"!! it's so crazy to see you there, enjoying such a special place (which so many have been blessed by). and on *saturday* i'm hoping christopher will take me to the very same outlets you're talking about, in hagerstown. meet us there??

love you!
ally

p.s. christopher **built** those stairs you're training on. (isn't he amazzzzzzing.)

Sarah Smith said...

ally! that is so funny you've been here too - Case said the same thing! yes - we've been so blessed to be able to vacation here along with the Leaches. It's been a very nice, peaceful get-away.
outlets on saturday??!!! yes!!!! that would be so much fun :) i will ask mike - text me when you find out if christopher is going to take you :)
and i can't believe he built these stairs!!! there are quite a lot of them :)