Thursday, June 04, 2009

Steadfast Love Never Ceasing


So, last week, Michael wrote me an old-fashioned love letter. Well, old fashioned in every sense except that it was typed ;) This letter melts my heart - because it was written out of true love - biblical love - for my soul. One night after being particularly discouraged about finding a house EVER (no..i don't exaggerate...never...), Mike sent me a 6-page letter full of encouragements and truths to think on - and part of it was a section called "Truths to Cling to when Buying a House (And Every Other Time)" And listed under it is several truths with scriptures that support each one. It has been like a personal devotional study for me! It's been so helpful, and I wanted to share one that spoke to me in particular this morning.

Truth #2: Because of the Cross, we have been brought near to God, in whom our hope is found. Once we are His, He will never abandon us.
Lamentations 3:21-24 "But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, 'therefore I will hope in Him.'"

I have been brought near to God - that's why I'm sitting here at 5:50 AM, reading my Bible, listening to the rain falling outside, aware that there are new mercies for me - like a package waiting for me as soon as my feet hit the ground. They are here for me today, and there will be new ones tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that! God will never abandon me - there will never be a day that I will wake up and find that no mercies await me. New EVERY morning! How amazing is that?! And therefore, I have hope. For I know, on a future day, when it may be hard to spot the new mercies waiting for me at the foot of my bed, they will be there all the same, and it will be because God has promised them to me in this very verse.
On that day, sometime in the future, when we're looking for a house - God's mercies will be there. On the day we buy a house - God's mercies will be with us then. When we move in, when things need fixing, when little feet start pattering around that house, when we use that house for hospitality and serving, when those little feet turn into teenage stomps, when trial and sadness come to that house, and joy and laughter, whatever the days may bring into that house, one thing will be sure to arrive new each day: the steadfast love of my Lord, and the mercies that He showers on me because of what Christ has done for me on the Cross!
So on this I will think, and call constantly to my mind. For God is my portion, and the One I need - He is the only constant and sure thing in this world, and He will never abandon me.
Steadfast love NEVER ceasing, mercies NEVER coming to an end! What an amazing promise! And all this because I have been forgiven and brought near to God! He truly is our hope - I will cling to this truth, and I will wait for Him. Great indeed is my God's faithfulness.
What do you need new mercies for today?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This could not have come more perfectly timed. Thank you for the reminder :)

ange said...

How kind of God to give you the husband you need in this life. The Lord's plans and timing are always perfect, and He is so patient to teach us that in each season. :)

mikes, major husband points on that one.