Wednesday, October 07, 2009

"I want to wake up in a city, that never sleeps"

New York! New York!

We really did have a grand time. An amazing weekend to celebrate an amazing first year of marriage. Mike did a wonderful job planning such a special weekend :) Here we are in the best we could manage with the self timer.


We left on Friday mid-morning, and everything was smooth sailing. Until we hit this:


This, mind you, was caused by a disturbance NOT on our side of the road. If there's one thing Mike can't stand, it's a gaper delay.
So while he spouted off some steam, I got bored and amused myself by taking pictures. Of myself. Narcissistic, I know.


And then finally we came within sight of the city!!



And then a little further on down the road, we came upon the Lincoln Tunnel. And as we approached, I had to do a double take. And then a triple take. Which finally erupted in a "are you kidding me?!"

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it costs $8 for one to go through the Lincoln Tunnel. I realize that most of you probably knew that already. But for a country bumpkin like me (that's what my mom called me), it seemed a tad exorbitant.
But through the Lincoln Tunnel we did go. Thankfully.


Once we got there we went out and walked around. It's breathtaking, if not a little overwhelming.


We saw lots of these. Fortunately, unlike Will Farrell in Elf, I did not get upended by one.


One of the things I was looking forward to the most was the pizza. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. It did not taste like I remembered it. Oh well.


And because we are 5 years old, we stopped at Toys-R-Us.


I've never felt so claustrophobic.


And (also because I am 5) I thought this was funny.


I love the city at night.


Oh and I love him :)



Later that night, Mike took me to dinner at The View - it is the revolving restaurant on the 49th floor of the Marriott!! It was absolutely incredible.


Mike's dessert - chocolate caramel square with raspberry praline ice cream.


My dessert - creme brulee, raspberry praline ice cream, and some sort of bread pudding. It was to die for.


I realize they have to do this in Times Square, or no one would get the drink they ordered, but it is pretty awesome and I wish my drink got a label every time I went to Starbucks :)


We could have waited in line with them. For 4 hours. But we didn't. We walked around and shopped and came back later and got our tickets. We felt pretty smart.


Mike made me take this picture of Ryan Howard.


On our way to Rockefeller Plaza.


Not the smartest choice of footwear. But they were cute. So I wore them anyways.



I think this was one of my favorite stops. St. Patrick's Cathedral. Absolutely gorgeous.



And we HAD to stop in Anthropologie. I mean, c'mon, they were welcoming me to New York! I couldn't be rude.


And then we went to see Phantom of the Opera. It was great.


And after Phantom, we left. And let me try to describe what leaving New York City is like.

Basically, they make 25 lanes merge into 2. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.
But c'mon....this guy had to merge...

And then this guy.....

and pretty much everyone and his brother had to merge. And I have discovered something about myself. I like order. I do not like mayhem, which is what NYC driving is like. But, the good news I guess is that you can do whatever you want. So that's why we cut in front of him :)
And then, once we survived exiting the Lincoln Tunnel, we set out for Philly. Ended up in Camden (thank you, Google maps, thank you). Just kept driving, in light of the fact that it was Camden. And finally arrived (late) at the Marriott in Philly. And that is why we looked like this.

It was a fabulous weekend. Tiring, to be sure, but worth it in every possible way.

Coming up next: Mike talks Priceline, complete with photographs and all. He's very excited about it.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

You should clearly never work in the traffic reporting business. Chaos is job security. :-)

Glad you guys had a good trip! We miss you guys. Tell Mike I said, "Bubschki."

Meagan said...

Fun times! I love that last picture of you (what an adorable couple) XD

Unknown said...

Sarah,
I'm still at Ba's, but so enjoyed seeing your pictures. I will show them to her later today. Love you, Mom