Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Beloved Spazzoid

So, once upon a time, I got one of these:

An E-ma-what?? you may ask.
An Emachine.
It was a (wonderful!) gift for my highschool graduation, and it has served me well! It got me through college and all its papers, tests, classes and projects. It was a heroic little laptop, but a few years back, it got sick.
Very, very sick. In fact, it became what one might call a spazzoid. (Kudos to Margie for inventing that word.)
It had what we call whir-a-termination.
Translation: if you hear a fast, whirring noise, save everything STAT because it is about to terminate your blood, sweat and tears and scatter them into oblivion.
The Geek Squad at Best Buy looked at it time after time but told me there was "nothing wrong." Nothing wrong?! IT SHUTS OFF AT RANDOM! I don't know what you call "nothing wrong," but that sure fits my definition pretty well. Fortunately I had enough self control to not say this to their faces. However, I'm convinced they were hired simply because they LOOKED like they belonged in a geek squad....but ANYWAYS! (was that mean?)
After I gave up on the Geek Squad, Uncle Mick operated on this poor little thing who knows how many times. He even wiped it clean in case a virus had set in.
And while it never completely recovered (it eventually lost all media capabilities whatsoever....poor thing), the two of us did learn how to coexist.
I learned its quirks - not to unplug it, not to close its lid lest it go into hibernation and suffer a catastrophic meltdown, not to let it go into Standby.....all those fun little tricks.
And for the past 3 years we have been getting on just fine, quirks and all.
But the time has come to say goodbye to beloved Emachine.
Sometime around November 10th or so.....this should be arriving:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550.
Andrew did all the research (it's a beautiful thing to have such a technologically inclined brother - I highly recommend getting one) and found us a really good deal on this one. He has its big sister, ThinkPad. And so we will excitedly be welcoming IdeaPad into our family. I must admit, I'm looking forward to not having to play doctor anymore for my laptop, but in a strange way I am going to miss Emachine's quirks. It was my first laptop, as well as my college laptop - lots of good memories. But all good things must come to an end. So, out with the old and in with the new!
Goodbye, Emachine. May you rest in peace.

2 comments:

Margie said...

i'm just curious...are you recommending getting a lenovo idea pad? or a a technologically inclined brother?

Sarah Smith said...

both :)