Thursday, September 10, 2009

Announcing: The Autumn Project

Photo Credit: David Sacks

Fall is my absolute favorite season. Hands down. No contest. If I could capture it in a glass jar and keep it on my bookshelf all year, I would do so in a heartbeat.
I love the apples. the pumpkins. the gourds. the crisp, cool weather. i love the way the wind whips up on a blustery day, swirling leaves into a twister of bright colors. jeans and sweaters and vests and scarves! hot apple cider. harvest parties. fires and jack-o-lanterns. I just love it. It never gets old. On the contrary, I think with each year it gets more and more magical.

So here's what I'm setting out to do this autumn. Starting on September 22 (The first day of Fall) I am going to be cooking everything Fall. This summer I cooked vegetables and fruits according to what was in season (with the help of The West Chester Grower's Market), and it was fantastic. I'm going to do the same with this season. Squash, sweet potatoes, apples, cider, ginger snaps, cinnamon and spice, and oh so much more!
In this next week and a half I will be compiling my menu, which will run through Thanksgiving. I have some of my own favorites, but please, if you have any tried and true harvest recipes, please send them my way!!! Email me, post them here, snail mail, whatever floats your boat! I'm gonna need a lot of recipes to keep me going between the 22nd and Thanksgiving. So please share!

So here's to Fall 2009. May it be the best one yet!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

sarah...i was just thinking how awesome fall was today...definitely the best season ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ange said...

jer's birthday is the 22nd so you should eat some type of autumn dessert in his honor. i love eating desserts in peoples honor.

i will think of some yummy foods.

Traci Healey said...

you can have me, rick and lucy over to test your recipes. we are good at that.

making applesauce is a fall event! we need to get the recipe from auntie laura. i will think of more. it's tough because i'm not really sure what you mean by fall recipes. but i've been really wanting to make chili.

Sarah Smith said...

i will never refuse an opportunity to honor someone by eating dessert, ange ;)
T - you may come and test our recipes. and by fall recipes i mean all the ingredients that are unique to/remind us of Fall. i listed some that i think of. but chili and cornbread is DEF a good fall meal. it's going on my menu.

Traci Healey said...

Sarah - I read the list of ingredients. To me, potatoes are a year-round food.

Reenie said...

I made a comment yesterday. Let's have a bonfire and eat chili/soup out of hollowed out pumpkins.

Sarah Smith said...

T - yes they are :) but they taste ESPECIALLY good in the Fall. also sweet potatoes.

Reenie - absolutely! i want to get a firepit for the backyard. that would be fun :)