Friday, September 25, 2009

I love my crockpot...oh and meatballs...i still love meatballs

Why?
Because I can dump everything in there and FORGET ABOUT IT!
So that's what I did yesterday. The lovely Shelsy sent me this recipe, so I decided to try it! Because I am lazy, and do not feel like typing out the recipe (you'll understand why soon), here is the link for the recipe:
Autumn Sausage Casserole

Here is the only step to this meal. It's called "combine." It's amazing. I just put it in there and turn a knob. Can't beat that!


And this is the part where you get to eat it. Coming home from work and doing NOTHING....it's pretty much the best thing ever.



So, this next part is the recipe for Aunt Rae's meatballs. I know I know....you're sick of the meatballs already!! I get it. But this is for Reenie - she wanted to know where the recipe part was.....
Also, at the bottom is a suggestion on how to change it up a bit when all you've made this week is meatballs and your husband begins to wonder if you CAN cook anything else.....they're really good and all, but it's kinda like the Israelites and the manna.....too much of a good thing can seem eerily like quail coming out of the nostrils. Sorry for that gross mental image. These meatballs are much better than quail.
ANYWAYS, without further adieu, here you go.

Aunt Rae's Meatballs (affectionately known as Deathballs by some)
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
6 eggs
Salt
Pepper
Parsley
Italian Seasoning (if you don't have....just use Oregano, Basil, Thyme, etc.)
1 c. dried Italian Breadcrumbs
1 c. grated Parmesan Cheese
6 slices bread, crusts trimmed
Water or Milk
Olive Oil

Directions:
1) Spread meat out flat in a casserole dish, so it covers the entire dish. Crack eggs evenly over top of meat. Sprinkle with spices (sorry! I don't have measurements!! just make sure it's flavorful!) Next, layer the bread crumbs, followed by the parmesan cheese. Mix by hand until well combined. (No, not with a spoon by hand....WITH your hands. Yes, it's messy. But it can relieve stress.)
2) Spread mixture evenly in dish again. Now, dip each slice of bread in milk or water until soaked. Gently squeeze out excess liquid (but leave enough so it's still moist, just not dripping). Drop bread balls evenly over meat mixture. Mix by hand again, working each piece of bread in so it is evenly incorporated.
3) Roll into medium-sized balls. Heat a few TBSP of olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook each batch until browned on each side and cooked through. This usually takes 8-10 minutes per batch, but depends on the size of your meatballs.
4) Serve with sauce and spaghetti. My mother has an amazing homemade gravy (from Aunt Rae) that tastes incredible. I have never had the time to make it, but one day!!! Ask her for it if you're interested!

These meatballs freeze extremely well. I usually double the recipe and just keep extra on hand in the freezer - great lunches as well as a quick weeknight meal.
Also good for meatball sandwiches. This week, I did not have rolls or cheese to make the sandwiches (I was too lazy to go back out to the grocery store...) so I worked with what I had on hand.

I made a quick pasta sauce out of canned roma tomatoes, garlic and spices - just needs time to cook and thicken...


Took some crusty bread, topped it with basil, drizzled with olive oil and broiled until golden.



Topped with halved meatballs....


Followed by sauce and basil....

It would have been better if I'd had cheese.....but...alas...I did not. Tough.

REMINDER - send me any recipes you have!!!! I have to make this project last until November........

Next up - Margie and the kids are coming over for Chili and Cornbread, one of my FAVORITE fall meals. It's a good firepit meal. What are the chances I can procure a firepit by Monday? (sidenote...my cousin Frank taught me the word "procure"....he was threatening Michael that if he did not procure me a furry companion he would have to face the consequences....) Anyways, we'll see if I can get me one of those (both a furry companion AND a firepit).

3 comments:

veryholyone1 said...

So glad you wrote the part about making your own sauce so your dad can't chide you about using the stuff from a jar. :-) I have great recipes for pumpkin stuff; do you like pumpkin?

Sarah Smith said...

cyndi...unfortunately it was nothing like the real homemade recipe ;)
but it worked!
yes! love pumpkin stuff!!

Reenie said...

thank you sarah, I am definitely going to give these a try. The crockpot is great for a sunday as well, when you invite peeps over after church to watch a game.