Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Caution: Peppers may be HOT

So last night, I made this:
Thai Beef with Chiles and Basil over Coconut Rice

And boy oh boy is it yummy!! It is one of our new favorites.
There were, however, the usual setbacks which are sometimes encountered when attempting a new recipe. They were as follows:

Coconut Milk. I know what coconut milk IS. But not where to find it. So I traipsed up and down the many, never-ending, very fascinating but equally confusing ailes at Wegman's. Until I found it in some ethnic aisle. My 3rd time at that end of the store. But now I know where to find coconut milk. Well, at Wegman's anyways.

Coconut Milk part 2. This involves dumping half of your entire allotment (which took forever to find, remember) all over the stove, counter, and floor. I trust no more explanation is needed. However, if you find yourself curious still, you can talk to Mike to get his perspective on how the scene played out.

Ok. Fish Sauce. No one ever told me I needed fish sauce. Except in the recipe, but that's besides the point. And actually, had I seen it anyways, I probably would have foregone it in light of the fact that I'm not partial to fish being smashed into a sauce. ANYWAYS, the point is, extra soy sauce works just splendidly :)

Lastly, when cutting hot peppers, please remember that washing your hands does not always remove the oils that cause burning. How do I know this? Well, let's just say I thought my eyes were going to erupt like volcanoes when I put my contacts in this morning. Clearly washing my hands before taking them out last night did nothing for protecting them from turning into coals of fire. Needless to say, I am wearing my glasses today. Also, your hands will hurt too if you don't wear gloves when seeding the peppers. Three fingers on my left hand are on fire at the moment, and I have no idea when they will be put out.

All that being said, though, it really was a great recipe :) I highly recommend it - just learn from my mistakes - ask the front desk where coconut milk is and don't stick fire in your eyes.

Thai Beef with Chiles and Basil over Coconut Rice
by: Martha Stewart Everyday Food


Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. Jasmine Rice
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
Coarse Salt
2 TBSP plus 1 tsp fish sauce (or just use extra soy sauce if you don't like fish sauce.)
2 TBSP plus 1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 TBSP canola oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 long hot peppers or red jalepeno chiles, seeded and sliced into 2-inch matchsticks
1 1/4 lb. ground beef sirloin (you can use turkey, lamb, pork or chicken too)
1 c. loosely packed torn fresh basil leaves
lime wedges for serving

1) in a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 3/4 c. water, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.

2) When rice is almost done, combine fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.

3) Heat a cast-iron skillet or wok over High. Add oil and heat; add garlic and half the chiles. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds. Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until completely browned. Add soy mixture and cook 30 seconds. Add basil and remaining chiles and stir to combine. Serve beef over coconut rice with lime wedges. Voila!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

i love coconut rice. my favorite coconut milk recipe is called basil coconut curry chicken. it's delicious.

fyi - trader joe's also sells coconut milk. probably cheaper too.

Sarah Smith said...

augh! and i was planning to go to TJ's too! but Wegman's was closer....so....