Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yes I can......

Roast a Chicken.

Let it be known. I successfully roasted this baby without undercooking it AND without burning it to a crisp. (we are not counting the skin....please don't ruin this for me ;) It was, in fact, delightfully moist and flavorful. I feel as though I have achieved a major milestone in my life. Thank you Martha Stewart Everyday Food.
And it was so simple.
1) Buy an oven roaster. Take out the gizzards (Mike tells me the correct term is "giblets". I prefer gizzards. The point is TAKE THEM OUT!) Place on a rimmed baking sheet (or bottom of broiler pan) and rub with olive oil, coarse salt and pepper.
2) Chop up carrots, potatoes, a red onion and 4-5 cloves of garlic (this part goes a lot faster if you have your husband do it ;) Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place these around the chicken.
3) Mix 1/2 c. real (it must be real, people) maple syrup and 1 tsp. cumin. Pour evenly over chicken and vegetables.
4) Roast at 450 for 1 hr. 15 minutes or until juices run clear. Baste chicken as desired and toss vegetables from time to time. (Cooking time will vary depending on how small/large your chicken is.)
5) Eat.



The beautiful maple syrup. Please don't even think the word pancake syrup. There's nothin' better than the real deal.




Here you can see Michael the Husband (waiting for the chicken to cook) furiously combating evil lords and knights in his favorite game Civilization. I don't actually know what era they're from...i'm not particularly fond of the game...but we'll just say they're medieval.




This is a dangerous move, to have an entire pound of salt sitting precariously on a bar stool. I don't recommend it.



Pre-oven



In oven



Out of oven and into mouth. Yummmmmmmmm.



The not-so-fun part of cooking. I wish there were such things as dish fairies.
Fortunately, there are things such as "tomorrow...." :)



Edit - Michael would like you all to know that he nearly chopped off his finger while chopping the vegetables....he is perturbed that I failed to mention this in the original post ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As the daughter of a father who owned several Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises, I thot the giblet question should be cleared up! Giblets include all of the following: the liver, gizzards, and heart of the poor unsuspecting roasted chicken.

And there is NOTHING like a good fried gizzard! YUM-O!

Sarah Smith said...

eeeeewwww Aunt Jill....i don't know that i can stomach the thought of a fried gizzard.
the clarification would have been quite sufficient.
;)

Andrea S. said...

Your chicken looked beautiful!!!I'm impressed with all of it-regardless of what you call it's insides..gizzards or giblets